Making of: PREMADE COVER #1

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. For my 'Making Of' series, I'll let the images speak.

Why do designers produce premade book covers and why do they come out cheaper, even when they're only sold once? (which they should)

Well, that's easy to answer. It's because we secretly - and not so secretly - enjoy the creative freedom that creating a non-custom cover gives us.

Premade book covers might not have been custom created to fit your specific needs, but they're a pretty good low-budget option.

So here's a little 'behind the scenes' for the making of one of my premade book cover designs. Enjoy.

step 1 making of premade book cover design
Step 2 Book Cover Premade Design
Step 3 Premade Book Cover Design
Step 4 Book Cover Design Premade
Step 5 Book Cover Design
step 6 book cover design premade

Did you like the first of the 'making of' series?

Then leave a comment and stay tuned for the next one! If you're interested in buying this premade design, all you need to do is contact me. All my premade designs are 'One of a Kind' (OOAK), meaning they're only sold once, so this design would be exclusive to you.

Premade Book Cover Design Light and Fire

Did you love this post?

Then subscribe and receive more like these in your inbox. No spam, promise.

14 Comments

1. Tescha Chetty on February 19, 2017 at 6:24 pm

WoW, that is pretty cool. I like the exclusivity of the designs. It adds a really special touch to it. Very creative designs too 🙂

2. Carola on February 19, 2017 at 6:37 pm

You’re so talented! I really love how you made this premade book cover. It looks incredible. I love this behind the scenes article and would love to see more. I really enjoy seeing the cover develop and change. You’re doing a great job there. It’s great to with which pictures you originally started and the end result is great.

• Nya on February 21, 2017 at 10:51 am

Thank you so much Carola! I’m always curious to see how the process of every artist works so I thought it would be an interesting series.

3. Irma on February 19, 2017 at 10:47 pm

Your post was actually very helpful for me. Apart from showing your unquestionable talent, you have also helped me in making a decision on what to give as a birthday present to my boyfriend. He is releasing a book soon, but he still doesn’t have the book cover design. I will surely send him this blog post to see how great you are.

• Nya on February 21, 2017 at 10:50 am

Thank you! It’s so amazing that your boyfriend is writing a book. I’ll be here in case you need me:)

4. travelerettenyc on February 19, 2017 at 11:09 pm

That is really cool looking! It looks like the cover of a fantasy novel like one of the Game of Thrones books. I am not very artistic so I’m always impressed by people who are. I hope you continue the series.

5. ayawillgoplaces on February 20, 2017 at 2:08 am

I didn’t know premade book covers are actually a thing. I thought it is always a custom design chosen by the author himself. Well, if this would be cheaper but it doesn’t compromise quality, then why not? And by the looks of it, its a well made book cover. I can imagine fantasy books having this book cover.

6. jayresa03 on February 20, 2017 at 5:00 am

Cool! Do you have a step by step tutorial on how to do this? I would love to practice layout like this. I even want to study how to make my blog’s layout so I can create a logo and blog badge.

• Nya on February 21, 2017 at 10:49 am

Thanks for the suggestion! I’ll definitely consider creating tutorials. I think, however, the trick for photo manipulation is mostly using creativity, so with basic Photoshop tools you can actually create amazing results. It comes with practice:)

7. Kylie on February 21, 2017 at 1:47 am

Wow! Isn’t it amazing how the more we explore, the more we learn about the different skills and jobs available? I think you’re incredibly talented, keep up the amazing work!

8. Ella Ivoire on February 21, 2017 at 1:45 pm

WOW! It’s amazing!! I also love to have creative freedom on my job, but your job looks so interesting to me. The creative process must be really exciting! Could you maybe do a post about it? Or have you already done it so I can read it?

9. SofarsoSabine on February 22, 2017 at 12:24 pm

OMG This is so cool!!!! I wish I could do this. Can’t you make a picture / cover like that for me, just for fun? WOULD love to post it on my blog, with a link to you of course. This is professional and more people should see your work!!!!

• Nya on February 22, 2017 at 12:31 pm

Thank you so much Sabine! Of course, I’m always open to collaborate and participate in non-commercial creative projects, so feel free to drop me a message here, let me know more of what you have in mind:)

10. ROBERT LEE | Amazing Life Daily on March 14, 2017 at 2:37 am

As always, you never cease to amaze. Even by looking at the photos, I see the workflow you put into book cover design. So in my case, this is educational. It also occurred to me that there is a reason why there are many others selling cheap pre-made book covers… because it seems every blogger would want to have a few ebooks either to sell or most likely to offer in exchange for newsletters.

As a freelance writer, I see how there are always a lot of clients wanting to hire people to write short ebooks (5000 to 13,000) words.